France is well-known for a lot of things including its musical language, gorgeous beaches and charming towns. The country’s cuisine is exotic. It has garnered international recognition because of its finesse and flavour. Wine and cheese are inseparable in French cuisine. Beyond wine and cheese, there are so many other mouth-watering options.
Initially their restaurant vocabulary may intimidate you. If you know which are the must-try foods you’ll feel more comfortable ordering food in a French restaurant. Drop by L’Academie and taste the authentic flavours of France. Their friendly staffs are more than happy to help you out in choosing the dishes if it is your first time in a French restaurant.
- Chicken confit: Confit refers to any food that is slow-cooked for a long duration as a method of preservation. When it comes to meat, salt is added for preservation. The classic chicken confit consists of chicken which is salted and seasoned using herbs. The chicken is then cooked in olive oil until it is tender.
- Steak frites: This simple dish consists of beef steak served along with strips of deep-fried potato. The dish is deceptively simple since it is made with only two ingredients. The steak is served juicy and fries are buttery and crisp.
- Boeuf bourguignon: Also known as beef burgundy, it consists of seasoned cubes of beef braised in beef stock, red wine (usually burgundy wine), onion and mushroom.
- French onion soup: Made with beef stock and caramelized onions and topped with cheese and croutons and a large slice of bread.
- Cassoulet: It is named after the traditional vessel it is cooked – cassole which is round, deep earthenware pot. It consists of white beans slowly cooked with different kinds of meat.
- Tarte Tatin: Named after a restaurant that serves this as its signature dish, the pastry has fruits caramelized in sugar and butter before the tart is baked.
- Ratatouille: It is basically a stew of various vegetables. ‘Rata’ refers to a mixture of beans, potatoes, mixed vegetables and fatty meat. Though it has many variations, the main ingredients used are onion, tomato, garlic, bell pepper, egg plant and zucchini.
- Crepes: It is a type of thin pancakes served with a variety of fillings. They are made either sweet or savoury and acts as sides, mains or desserts.
The above dishes mentioned are some of the iconic ones in France. Give them a try and fall in love with French cuisine all over again.